• If there are questions that arise for which the answers are not included in the list below, it is encouraged that you rather send an e-mail using the “Enquiries” left side-bar tab in the Consular section of this website and the Consular enquiry e-mail form that appears on that page.
• Due to the large numbers of telephone enquiries directed to the Consulate, telephoning may require a lengthy wait before the call is answered.
• Should it, however, be necessary to make a telephone enquiry, it is encouraged that such calls should be made during the period of 14h00 to 16h00 (excluding on Weekends and Embassy Public Holidays). During the mornings, when the Consular Office is open, the Consular officials are often very busy dealing with members of the public.
• To ease the process of finding the correct questions/answers amongst those listed below, the questions/answers have been listed in the following clusters:
– Civic Affairs
– Visas and Other Permits to Travel to South Africa
– General Information



1. Question: Do I need to make an appointment for a South African passport application?

Answer: Yes. It is very important to make an appointment to apply for South African passport as fingerprints have to be taken for all applicants over the age of 16.

2. Question I would like to have documents certified as true copies and signed before a Commissioner of Oaths, what procedure do I need to follow?

Answer: Documents may be certified as true copies and signed before a Commissioner of Oaths at the Embassy of the Republic of South Africa in Belgium. Persons who wish to visit the Embassy for such certifications must make appointments at least three (3) days in advance by contacting the Embassy telephonically.

3. Question: I need to apply for a Police Clearance Certificate for the Republic of South Africa. Can I do this through the Embassy in Belgium?

Answer: No. Persons living abroad must apply for a South African Police Clearance Certificate directly from the Criminal Record Centre of the South African Police Service (SAPS) in Pretoria (http://www.saps.gov.za/_dynamicModules/internetSite/beh_cert_search.asp). Please also refer to the following link for information on requests for South African police clearances: http://www.dfa.gov.za/consular/policeclear.htm. As indicated on the website of the Department of International Relations and Cooperation the Consular Section merely facilitates with the taking of fingerprints and the applicant is responsible for sending the complete application and required fee to SAPS in South Africa. Only the fingerprint form is available at our Consulate in The Hague. Applicants who wish to have their fingerprints taken at the Consulate need to make an appointment during the opening hours – Monday to Friday (excluding Embassy Public Holidays) from 09h00 to 12h00. The link provides the required documentation and process the applicant should follow.

4. Question: Can I renew my South African Drivers License at the Embassy?

Answer: A South African Drivers License cannot be renewed at the Embassy. For further information regarding such renewal please contact the Department of Transport. The web address is: http://www.dfa.gov.za/consular/drivers_license.htm

5. Question: What are the requirements for getting married in South Africa?

Answer: The following documents are required from all foreigners, who intend to get married in the Republic of South Africa:
• A valid passport that contains a valid Residence Permit for the Republic of South Africa e.g. visitor’s permit in the case of foreigners who have entered as tourists (the relevant entry requirements are available on request from our office). The requirement of a minimum period of stay is not prescribed to get married:
• In the case of a previous marriage, the final decree of divorce or the deceased spouse’s death certificate, together with a sworn translation into English.

Prospective parties who are getting married should be informed about the procedure by the marriage officer, who will conduct the ceremony in the Republic of South Africa, to ensure that they comply with the legal requirements. Should there be any uncertainty about any of the procedures, then parties are advised to seek legal counsel before the marriage takes place. Please note that the clergy as well as representatives of the Department of Home Affairs, as designated by the Minister of Home Affairs, may perform marriages (i.e. can act as marriage officers).

After solemnization of the marriage, both parties to the marriage, the two witnesses and the marriage officer must sign the marriage register, upon which the marriage officer must issue the parties with a marriage certificate free of charge. The marriage officer must submit the marriage register to the nearest Home Affairs office for recording of the marriage particulars in the National Population Register (NPR).

Please note that a full (unabridged) marriage certificate with Apostille is required to register a marriage in Belgium & Luxembourg. This document may also be applied for through the consular section in Brussels.

Further general information regarding getting married in the Republic of South Africa may be obtained from the website of the Department of Home Affairs: http://www.home-affairs.gov.za/civil_marriage.asp


6. Question: How do I find the Regional Offices of the Department of Home Affairs where I can, inter alia, go to receive an extension on certain visas?

Answer: The details for the Regional Offices of the Department of Home Affairs can be found on the following website: http://www.home-affairs.gov.za/regions.asp

7. Question: Do I need to make an appointment for a Visa or Permit application?

Answer: Yes. The Consular section is open for Visa and Permit applications Monday to Friday (excluding Embassy Public Holidays), from 09h00-12h00 BY APPOINTMENT ONLY

8. Question: Do I need a visa for tourism or business purposes with a Belgian/Luxembourg passport?

Answer: No. As a Belgian/Luxembourg Citizen, you do not need a visa to enter South Africa. You may travel to South Africa on your exemption of 90 days.

9. Question: How long should my passport be valid before applying for a Visa or Permit?

Answer: Your passport has to be valid for at least thirty (30) days after the eventual date of departure from South Africa. It must contain at least one (1) blank page for endorsements.

10. Question: Can I travel to South Africa with a temporary Belgian or Luxembourg passport?

Answer: A temporary Belgian or Luxembourg passport with a photograph may be used to enter the Republic of South Africa. This document must also be valid for at least thirty (30) days after the eventual date of departure from the Republic of South Africa, and contain at least one (1) blank page for endorsements.

11. Question: I have incurred a fine because I overstayed in South Africa. Where can I pay it?

Answer: The following documents should be submitted to the Consular section in respect of each person who has received an administrative fine for an “overstay”:
Original passport to enter the endorsement that the administrative fine was paid;
• Original form BI-1731 regarding the administrative fine that was issued to the person on departure from the Republic of South Africa;
• Persons should submit the above-mentioned documents personally during the Consular Section’s opening hours – Monday to Friday (excluding Embassy Public Holidays), from 09h00-12h00.

12. Question: Can I pay for my application with a bank card?

Answer: No. The Embassy does not have the Pin System machine. All payments have to be done by bank transfer except administrative fines in respect of overstay must be paid in CASH.

13. Question: I am travelling with my children using my Belgium/Luxembourg passport. Will they be allowed to enter South Africa while registered on my passport?

Answer: Children are allowed to enter South Africa on their parent’s passport. Should only one parent be accompanying the children it is advisable that the parent who is not travelling write a letter in English with a copy of his/her passport agreeing that their children will be travelling with the other parent. Or if in a case of divorce, the parent should have the custody decree with him/her.

14. Question: I have a question that is not mentioned on this list. What procedure do I need to follow to obtain an answer?

Answer: Please send an email to brussels.consular@dirco.gov..za